Wenger speaks on possible recruits
Arsene Wenger insists he is not done with his transfer business just yet ahead of deadline day three weeks from now.
The Frenchman has been responsible for the signings of Granit Xhaka, Takuma Asano and Rob Holding so far this summer.
However, there has been a higher amount of frustrated fans than usual after the club’s failure to secure the signing of either Jamie Vardy or Gonzalo Higuain.
Arsenal’s search for a new striker is set to continue as the opening game of the season against Liverpool approaches.
But with Per Mertesacker and Gabiel now sidelined by injuries while Laurent Koscielny remains unavailable after Euro 2016 duty with France, there is a desperate need for a new centre-back as well.
Therefore, Wenger has admitted that he is now bound to pursue the signing of one more defender.
“I’ve said many times that we are in the market. Of course it’s not an easy market for us. Let’s hope we have good news from Gabriel.” he said
“Laurent Koscielny is back in training [on Monday] but he might be short for next week. If Gabriel is out, Per Mertesacker is out and Koscielny not ready – that’s a lot of players.”
This Arsenal team is crying out for a centreback but make no mistake about it; we need more than that. You would have to hope that in Wenger’s eyes, the need for a new centre-back has not suddenly overtaken how desperate we are for a goalscorer.
He is a man who loves to not plug all the holes and almost intentionally leaves other issues unaddressed in the transfer market. If Arsenal sign Mustafi, Lacazette or some striker should follow. We cannot have another situation like last summer where he solves the goalkeeping problem by bringing in Cech and just thinks that’s enough.