Wenger: Why I rejected new striker signing
Arsene Wenger remains adamant that his decision to not add a new goalscorer to his squad was the right one.
Mohamed Elneny’s arrival from Basel was the Gunners only business in January as he became the first outfield player to join the first team since the signing of Gabriel 12 months ago.
After failing to score in three consecutive Premier League games for the first time since 2009 – a run which has seen them drop from first to fourth on the table – Arsenal’s failure to find another striker in the transfer market has been scrutinized.
However, Wenger insists there were no options available last month to improve what his team has upfront.
“If you knew a world-class striker who could have strengthened our team, you should have told me before the transfer deadline was over.” the Frenchman said after the 0-0 draw against Southampton.
“They do not walk in the street and say ‘please, here is a world-class striker, can you take me?’ They are all at big clubs and are under contract. There were none available”
The Gunners fired more blanks on Tuesday despite having an almost fully-fit squad to call upon. Even so, Wenger plans to stick to his guns.
“We have Walcott, we have Giroud, we have Ozil, we have Alexis, we have Welbeck, who is coming back.” he added
“If tonight we think a miracle man could have scored the goal for us, I think it’s better we think how can we score the goals with the players we have? We can score goals, we have shown that before.”